This quinoa tabbouleh salad is such a fresh and flavorful gluten free version of a classic tabbouleh recipe! Made with fluffy quinoa, sweet cherry tomatoes, crisp cucumber, green onions, aromatic parsley, and a bright and simple lemony dressing. Gluten free, vegan & so dang tasty!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- cracked black pepper
- If your quinoa is not already pre-rinsed (it should say on the package), rinse it well using a super fine mesh strainer. Set strainer over a bowl to finish draining.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, add rinsed and drained quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa is dry and smells a little toasty. Add broth or water along with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and stir well. Bring to a simmer, stir one more time, and cover. Reduce heat to low and and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove pot from the heat and take off the lid. Allow steam and heat to release for about 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Set aside to cool. To cool it faster – transfer to a shallow bowl or glass dish (so the quinoa can spread out a bit) and stir every 5 minutes or so while it cools.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep the parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, and green onions. Set these ingredients aside until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
- In a bowl large enough to mix the salad whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
When the quinoa is cool, add it to the large bowl that has the dressing in it along with parsley, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and green onions. Toss everything together until mixed well and add a little more lemon juice, salt, or pepper if desired.
Serve immediately or move to the refrigerator to chill a little more before serving. Can be made up to 4 hours ahead of serving.
- This tabbouleh salad can be made about 4 or so hours ahead of time. If you want to prep in further in advance see the notes in the blog post about preparing ahead of time.
- Traditionally tabbouleh is enjoyed cold or at room temperature.
- If you don’t have quinoa on hand or are looking for a low carb option, substitute with 2 cups raw cauliflower rice.
- To make this tabbouleh without parsley, substitute with mint or a variety of other fresh green herbs.
- No tomatoes or cucumber? Feel free to substitute with sweet bell peppers, finely diced celery, as well as any other fresh vegetables that you have on hand.
- Category: salad
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: mediterranean
Keywords: quinoa, mediterranean, salad, tomatoes, summer, parsley, fresh, bbq, potluck, healthy