Tis the season for cozy drinks like peppermint hot chocolate! A delicious homemade hot cocoa that’s easy to make and so much better than Starbucks. Naturally sweetened and made with your dairy free milk of choice (we love almond and cashew), two kinds of chocolate, and peppermint extract. A delicious holiday treat that’s perfect for snowy days inside! Vegan, gluten free, and keto option.
- 2 cups dairy free milk – almond milk, oat milk, or cashew milk are all good options
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, depending on how peppermint-y you want your hot chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- To serve: coconut whipped cream, crushed candy canes, and shaved chocolate
- Warm milk and whisk in cacao powder. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips and sweetener of choice to a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk is steaming and frothy but not simmering / boiling.
- Melt dark chocolate. When milk is warmed add the chocolate chips and continue to whisk until melted and incorporated.
- Sweeten to taste with maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey, or a keto friendly sweetener.
- Serve and enjoy! Divide between two mugs and serve topped with whipped cream, crushed candy canes, and shaved chocolate if desired.
See notes in blog post above for keto friendly option.
See notes in blog post above for paleo friendly option.
This peppermint hot chocolate recipe is super easy to make ahead of time. Follow the recipe as written but instead of serving immediately allow it to cool and then store in the refrigerator until ready to warm and serve.
To make this recipe for a crowd simple double or triple the recipe. Just make sure you choose a big enough sauce pan to fit all of the ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: drink
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: holiday
Keywords: christmas, holiday, snow day, hot chocolate, peppermint, festive