Let’s learn how to make perfect blistered shishito peppers with a garlicky aioli sauce! They are not only crazy delicious, but also super simple and easy to make. They are also very healthy – a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and minerals. An excellent gluten free, paleo + whole30 snack or side dish made with a few healthy ingredients + a sauté skillet! Substitute a different dipping sauce for a vegan option.
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil, or another high heat cooking oil
- about 8 oz shishito peppers
- flaky sea salt
- lemon wedges
for the garlicky aioli dipping sauce
- 1/3 cup high quality mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, grated or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- First make the aioli. In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, paprika and salt. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if desired. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron or non stick skillet big enough for peppers to sit in a single layer heat avocado oil over medium high heat, until oil is shimmering and very hot.
- Add peppers and let sit for about 30 seconds so they have a chance to char and blister before tossing. Cook, tossing every 30 seconds or so until peppers are charred all over and have softened slightly.
You’ll know that they’re done when each pepper is fairly charred on all sides, and has started to soften, but is still bright green and holding it’s shape. For the best texture and flavor you don’t actually want them to cook all the way.
- Serve warm, topped with lots of flaky sea salt, alongside the garlicky aioli dipping sauce.