These healthy roasted sweet potatoes make an easy side dish or tasty addition to all kinds of dishes – from bowls, to breakfasts, to salads. They are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and perfectly seasoned. Great for meal prep or your holiday table! Whole30 compatible, paleo, gluten free, and vegan.
For Plain Sweet Potatoes
- About 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Flaky sea salt – optional
For Seasoned Sweet Potatoes
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to a large, rimmed baking sheet. This is one of our favorite sheet pans for roasting all kinds of veggies.
- Toss with olive oil or avocado oil, salt, and black pepper (or a spice blend if using). Make sure each piece of sweet potato is nicely coated. Clean hands work great for this step!
- Spread out sweet potatoes in a single layer to promote crispy edges. If they’re too close together they’ll steam instead of roasting. Two roasting pans spaced out evenly in your oven is better than one that is overfilled.
- Roast sweet potatoes at 425 for 25-30 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelize on the edges. The best way to know if they’re done is with a taste test. If you want them to brown on all sides you can take them out and toss them every 10 minutes or so. If you don’t toss them during cooking the part of the sweet potato that will be the darkest is the side that is touching the sheet pan. To keep things easy, I usually just leave them to roast without tossing. Totally up to you!
- If you want extra crispy edges go ahead and bump the heat up to broil for a minute or two before pulling them from the oven.
- Add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt before serving if desired!
Try to cut the cubes evenly sized so that they all cook at around the same rate.
To store in the refrigerator: Allow the sweet potatoes to cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container. They should keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted, sweet potatoes, healthy, side dish, fall, winter