These ground pork tacos with creamy slaw are a simple and flavorful meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes! Perfect for taco night with the family and easy enough to make for a crowd. Made with a simple seasoning blend and a super creamy cabbage slaw with corn, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime. They are irresistibly delicious! Gluten free, dairy free, paleo option, and Whole30 option.
For ground pork filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Juice of a lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup mayo – I love using avocado oil mayo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 packed cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 a small jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Extra cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Make the slaw. In medium sized bowl combine mayo, lime juice, kosher salt, pepper, and honey, and whisk until thoroughly combined. Toss together with cabbage, corn, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeño if using. Taste and add more salt if desired. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill while you make the rest of the tacos.
- Cook the ground pork filling. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. When oil is hot, add ground pork and finely diced onion, breaking up meat as it cooks, until pork is nicely browned, and onions are tender and starting to caramelize – about 5-6 minutes. Add taco seasoning and tomato paste and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until spices are aromatic, and tomato paste evenly coats the meat – another 1-2 minutes. Add orange juice and lime juice, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and continue to cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble tacos and serve. Warm your tortillas (I like to char ours in a cast iron skillet) and fill with ground pork mixture, slaw, and any other desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
To make for a crowd see the suggestions in the blog post above.
If you have leftovers: The pork taco filling will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The slaw should be eaten within 24 hours for the best texture.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: tacos, mexican, pork, slaw, cabbage, corn, summer, cinco de mayo