A healthy gluten free and vegan side dish – this curried quinoa pilaf with pistachios is made with a few simple ingredients and topped with delicious pistachios and fresh herbs! Flavorful, nutritious, and a great side dish for any meal!
For quinoa pilaf
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- green onions
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear. Set strainer over a bowl to finish draining.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add finely diced onion, garlic, and sea salt. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to caramelize and have reduced in size significantly.
- Add rinsed and drained quinoa along with garlic powder and curry powder to the pot. Stir and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until quinoa is dry and spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add broth, scraping up any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring up to a strong simmer. Reduce heat to low, stir, cover, and set a timer for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove pot from the heat and keep covered. Allow to sit and steam for 10 minutes. Remove lid, and fluff with a fork.
- Top with chopped pistachios, cilantro, green onions and serve!
- This curried quinoa can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. This makes it perfect for meal prep!
- If your quinoa is not labeled as pre-rinsed, make sure you rinse it well using a fine mesh strainer to keep it from tasting bitter.
- If you have nut allergy, you can easily leave out the pistachios to make it nut free.
Keywords: quinoa, curry, gluten free, side dish, pistachios, meal prep, make ahead