This creamy dairy free chicken and veggie soup is the definition of healthy comfort food. Ready in less than an hour, and full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients. A flavorful nourishing broth is made creamy with the addition of cashew cream, and the soup is loaded up with lots of veggies, chicken, and fresh herbs for the most satisfying soup!
For cashew cream
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup just boiled water + more to soak
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 4–5 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon all purpose or poultry seasoning
- pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 quart of broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 5 ounce container of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small heat proof bowl pour just boiled water of the raw cashews and set aside to soak. Allow enough time for them to soak at least 30 minutes.
- In a large soup pot heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and sea salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes, until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add tomato paste and all purpose seasoning and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato paste has darkened slightly – about another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, and 2 pounds of whole boneless skinless chicken breasts. Bring back up to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the soup to a cutting board. Wait for it to cool slightly and then shred using two forks or a cut into small pieces with a knife.
- Prepare the cashew cream. Drain and rinse soaked cashews and add to a high speed blender with about 1 cup of just boiled water.
- Blend on high for a minute or two, until completely smooth and no pieces of cashew remain.
- Add chicken back to the pot along with cashew cream and bring back to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes to marry the flavors and thicken slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Add baby spinach and stir until wilted.
- Stir in fresh parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!
- This soup isn’t too spicy, but if you’re sensitive to spicy foods leave out the chili flakes and check your all purpose seasoning for chili before you start cooking.
- If you’re allergic to nuts and can’t use cashew cream consider substituting it with a healthy pour of unsweetened full fat oat milk or an unsweetened non-dairy creamer. You could also substitute the cashew cream with coconut milk, but expect a more coconut-y flavor with this swap.
- For quick and easy prep start soaking the raw cashews the night before.
- For the CREAMIEST cashew cream use a high speed blender like a vitamix.
- For the best cheesy texture, start with raw cashews. I know they can be a little harder to find, but they will blend so much more smoothly than roasted cashews. Trader Joe’s carries them, and most natural food stores will have them in their bulk section. If you can’t find them in stores, or simply want to order online, you can find them HERE.
- This soup will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chicken, paleo, whole30, cashews, vegetables, tomato, soup, healthy, dinner, autumn, fall, winter