These chocolate coconut almond bliss balls are a crazy easy paleo friendly and vegan dessert made using only the yummiest + cleanest ingredients.
- 2 cups raw unsweetened large coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 oz high quality dark chocolate for melting + a little coconut oil to thin if necessary
- crushed almonds, more coconut flakes, and flaky sea salt for garnish
- In a food processor combine the coconut flakes, melted coconut oil, sea salt, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Process until mixture is smooth and starting sticking together – about 1 to 2 minutes. Stop every so often to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper.
- Scoop out coconut mixture one small tablespoon at a time and kind of press in between your hands to make it flatten and stick together. You can then gently form it into a ball using fingers. Rolling it in between your hands won’t work – it will be too crumbly.
- Place finished balls on lined baking sheet or plate and move to the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to harden.
- Prepare your toppings – coconut flakes, flaky sea salt, and finely chopped almonds.
- Slowly melt chocolate either in the microwave or in a double boiler on the stove top, stirring every so often, until it is quite thin and smooth. The microwave is probably the most fool proof option. If you decide to go this route, melt it in about 30 second increments, stirring in between each 30 second round, until chocolate is totally melted and smooth. If for some reason your chocolate just seems too thick after melting, add about 1 teaspoon at a time of coconut oil and melt it into the chocolate, stirring to combine until desired thickness is reached.
- Once balls have set, remove from the refrigerator. At this point you can kind of roll them between your hands to smooth out any bumps if desired. Drop one ball at a time into the melted chocolate and roll to coat using a spoon or fork. Lift ball out of the chocolate with a fork and tap on the edge of the bowl so excess chocolate drips off, and scrape the bottom of the fork against the rim before sliding off the fork onto lined surface. You can use another clean fork to help move the chocolate coated bliss ball from fork to parchment paper.
- Immediately sprinkle with desired toppings, as chocolate will begin to harden fairly quickly.
- Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened.
- Store on the counter for several days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes