chard coconut detox soup with poached eggs: a vibrant and restorative soup made with chard, onion, fennel, celery and garlic, and paired with a nutritionally dense bone broth or vitamin rich vegetable stock + poached eggs to detox and support your body from the inside out!
- 2 tbs olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups bone broth or vegetable stock for a vegetarian option
- 2 bunches green swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 1/2 a 13/5 oz can coconut milk (or more if you want)
- eggs to poach
- juice of one lime
- sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
- salt and pepper
- heat olive oil or ghee over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- add diced onion, celery and fennel, stir occasionally – sautéing until soft and starting to caramelize.
- add garlic and cook another 3-5 minutes.
- add stock and bring to a boil.
- add chopped and washed chard and coconut milk and stir until wilted and covered by the liquid.
- allow to come to a boil again, lower heat and let simmer partially covered for about 10 minutes, or until chard is tender.
- while soup is simmering bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. I like using a straight sided pan to avoid sloshing, but really any pan will work as long as it’s deep enough.
- reduce to a bare simmer and crack two eggs in at a time. If you need a little help keeping your eggies together I love using this trick from Pinch of Yum –> use the top of a wide mouth mason jar (just the part of the lid that screws on, not the flat disc) to crack your eggs into. this provides a natural little nest for your poaches to settle into and prevents a lot of spreading of the egg white.
- once the eggs are in the barely simmering water set a time for 4.5 minutes for soft poached eggs, 5 for medium poached eggs, and 5.5 for hard poached. use a slotted spoon to remove to a paper towel lined plate once done, and re-peat if serving more than two.
- before serving squeeze juice of lime into soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- top bowls of soup with poached egg and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.