This simple burst cherry tomato and shrimp pasta is so simple but so incredibly flavorful! Made with fresh cherry tomatoes, lots of garlic, and a little bit of tomato paste to bolster the tomato flavor, it is made without cream and dairy free. We opt for GF pasta to keep the recipe gluten free, but any pasta you like will work! It is all cooked in one skillet and ready in just 30 minutes. Adding chopped parsley brings some color and elegance to the dish, making it just as perfect for serving guests as it is for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 12 ounces long gluten free pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Generous pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup broth (vegetable, chicken, or seafood)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup parsley, plus more to garnish
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions, scooping out about 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water just before draining. Set drained pasta aside.
- Make the base of the sauce. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When shimmering, add cherry tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and using the end of your spatula to break up the tomatoes, until the tomatoes have burst, and the released liquid has reduced slightly. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the broth, lemon juice, and shrimp. Add broth and lemon juice and bring to a simmer, scrape up any stuck on bits from the bottom of the skillet, and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes – until broth is slightly reduced. Add the shrimp and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until shrimp are opaque.
- Finish the pasta. Add pasta to the skillet with chopped parsley and toss to coat and warm the pasta. Thin the sauce with reserved pasta water if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with extra fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!
We chose to use gluten free spaghetti to keep this recipe gluten free, but wheat pasta would also work well. Our preference is for a long pasta like spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, or angel hair, though shorter pasta shapes can also be used! Gluten free pasta is typically sold in 12 ounce packages, and wheat pasta is generally sold in 16 ounce packages. The recipe makes enough sauce that it could easily stretch to coat 16 ounces of pasta.
Storage: To store in the refrigerator, allow it to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container before moving to the fridge. It should keep for 3-4 days.
Reheating: You can either reheat this pasta in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm, or on the stove top in a skillet over medium low heat, tossing until heated through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, shrimp, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, summer, dinner, quick, easy, gluten free, dairy free