a simple and nourishing recipe for autumn carrot soup garnished with pickled red onions, cilantro, pumpkin seeds and crumbled salty feta cheese.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 lb carrots, sliced into 1/4 coins
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper flakes or red chili flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 6–7 cups of good tasting chicken stock or vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- black pepper
pickled red onions:
- 1/2 small red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- chopped cilantro
- pumpkin seeds
- crumbled feta cheese
- make pickled red onions first.
combine onions, vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a jar. hold a towel over the lid to avoid spills and shake vigorously until salt and sugar are dissolved. set aside.
- now onto the soup.
- melt butter with olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- add and sauté onions, fennel and thinly sliced garlic until soft and starting to brown.
- once brown add carrots, parsley, rice and bay leaf.
- stir and cook another five minutes – until carrots start to soften slightly.
- add paprika, aleppo pepper, cumin, coriander and a few grinds of black pepper.
- stir, cooking for about another minute, or until spices are very aromatic.
- add 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck bits of spice or vegetable.
- increase heat and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover partially.
- cook until carrots are very tender and rice is kind of overcooked and split open. this should be between 15 and 25 minutes.
- carefully purée soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until it is totally smooth. you may need to add another cup or so of stock to get the right consistency.
- taste and season with salt and pepper and a few squeezes of lime.
- serve topped with cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds, feta cheese and pickled red onions.
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: vegetarian, gluten free