Creamy dairy free parsnip and chive soup is the perfect ready in less than 30 minutes cozy dinner for your weeknight! Vegan and Paleo.
- 3 pounds parsnips, trimmed and peeled (about 4 large parsnips)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 6 cups of broth of choice + more if needed to thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil + more for drizzling
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste (I used about 2 1/2 teaspoons total, but my broth was completely unsalted)
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chives + more for garnish
pressure cooker instructions
- Place parsnips, garlic, raw cashews and broth in pressure cooker and bring to a boil.
- Lock and seal the lid and bring up to high pressure. Reduce heat to medium low, maintaining the pressure, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use a quick release method and when pressure is released, remove the lid.
regular cooking instructions
- Place parsnips, garlic, cashews and broth in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for about 35-40 minutes, until parsnips and garlic are very tender, and cashews are plump.
to finish the soup
- Blend soup mixture in a blender with olive oil, in two batches if necessary. Don’t over fill the blender with hot soup or you can burn yourself with splattering liquid. Cover the lid with a dish towel before blending to be extra careful.
- Thin with another 1/2 cup or so of broth if desired.
- Season with lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and chives.
- Serve topped with a bit more fresh chives, a drizzle of olive oil, and black pepper.