TIS THE SEASON! For mistletoe, snow, fine company, and cookies!!! I am obsessed with these perfect grain free gingersnap cookies and so excited to share them with you for your healthier holiday baking party.
I think it’s officially safe to say that we’re in the final stretch of holiday baking, and I’m going to sneak this perfect little grain free gingersnap cookie right into the mix because I just know you guys are going to love them. They are chewy, full of gingery spiced flavor, just sweet enough, and totally GRAIN FREE! Because with all the indulgence that comes along with the holidays, it’s always nice to add some healthier notes to the mix.
What’s the flour I used you might ask? Chickpea flour! This stuff is seriously amazing. If you’ve never tried baking / cooking / playing around with it in the kitchen, I highly recommend picking up a bag and getting busy!
Honestly, some of my favorite grain free cookies that I’ve ever made are with chickpea flour. There’s just something about the simplicity of it and the texture that it lends that are so so good. So good that you probably wouldn’t even notice the healthy flour swap if you didn’t know. I’ve made some salted mocha chocolate cookies (so delish!) with chickpea flour on the blog before if you want another cookie recipe idea for that bag of chickpea flour that you’re about to pick up. And another great place to get ideas is on the ever-so-talented blog of Dolly and Oatmeal. She actually has a cookbook called Chickpea Flour Does It All and while I don’t own the cookbook (yet! it’s on the Christmas list 😉) I have made some of the recipes from the cookbook that she’s shared on her blog and they have all been amaze.
But back to these gingersnap cookies.
Why are you gonna love them?
Well, they are…
Soft and chewy.
Perfectly spiced —> Ginger. Cinnamon. Cloves. YES.
Kissed with a roll of cane sugar (or not if you want to make them completely refined sugar free!)
Full of protein, fiber and iron (thanks chickpea flour!) <— not normally things you can say about cookies, but these are not normal cookies 😝
The only thing that would make them even better is some cozy socks, a mug of hot cocoa, and twinkling holiday lights! I bet you guys can manage that.
equipment used for this recipe
Perfect grain free gingersnap cookies! Made with chickpea flour. Perfectly spiced, tender and chewy.
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of ghee, melted and cooled (substitute coconut oil for a dairy free option)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Raw cane sugar for rolling if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together chickpea flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, melted ghee or coconut oil, coconut sugar, and molasses (pro tip! swirl a little melted ghee around in your measuring cup before adding molasses. It will slide right out of the measuring cup) until smooth and most of the coconut sugar is dissolved.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula to thoroughly combine. Wet ingredients will sort of resist the dry ingredients, but keep going and it will eventually come together. Batter will thicken the longer you mix/the longer it sits. Don’t worry if that happens, it will still bake just fine.
- Form dough into about 1 inch balls, either with a cookie scoop or a tablespoon. Roll in between hands for a perfectly round cookie. Roll on a plate with sugar to coat (if using) and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Press cookies with fingers to flatten just a bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until tops are cracked and the edges are firm.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack and baking the second next batch.