This naturally sweetened strawberry mint shrub is made with juicy seasonal strawberries, fresh mint, white balsamic vinegar, and honey! It’s a brilliant bright and tart base for refreshing drinks that you’ll enjoy all summer long.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh mint + more for garnish
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- Wash and cut strawberries in half.
- Add to a medium sized pot with vinegar and honey and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, until strawberries are start to soften and turn a darker shade of red.
- Mash strawberries slightly with the back of a wooden spoon. A potato masher also works really well for this step!
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, and transfer to a heat proof jar. Add fresh mint, and stir to make sure it is completely submerged. Let cool completely on the counter and then move to the refrigerator.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for about 10-12 hours or overnight before straining through a fine mesh strainer.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a month! Although if any signs up mold or discoloration occur throw it away and make a new batch.
Non-alcoholic serving suggestions:
- Make a drink by adding a squeeze of fresh orange juice and an orange wheel to a glass along with a few fresh mint leaves and some fresh strawberries. Start with about 1 tablespoon of the shrub and add more to taste. Top with soda water and serve!
Cocktail serving suggestions:
- Substitute simple syrup with this strawberry mint shrub in a classic eggwhite gin sour! Reduce the lemon juice slightly because the shrub is already quite tart. SO GOOD!
- Mix a tiny splash with gin or vodka, soda water, and a big squeeze of lime. Refreshing and the perfect summer drink.
Other ideas for using your shrub:
- Mix a teaspoon or two into a homemade salad dressing in place of whatever acid you would normally use (vinegar/lemon juice, etc)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes