These cardamom caramel and pear cookie crumble cups are made with fragrant pears simmered in a cardamom and cinnamon spiced coconut sugar caramel. Served with your favorite dairy free vanilla ice cream and Simple Mills crunchy toasted pecan cookies. A crazy delicious seasonal dessert that is naturally sweetened, vegan and paleo friendly!
for cardamom caramel and pears
- 3 small or 2 large ripe but firm bartlett pears, diced to about 1/2 an inch size pieces (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 crumbled crunchy toasted pecan simple mills cookies + a few extra for the tops of the cups
- 1 pint dairy free vanilla ice cream
- Combine all ingredients for the cardamom caramel and pears and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until pears are tender but not mushy. The simmering time will vary based on how ripe they were when you started. Ripe pears will cook and soften much faster than unripe pears. When they’re done you want them to be tender but still hold their shape.
- Remove pears from the caramel to a small bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase heat ever so slightly to a strong simmer and reduce caramel for about 15 minutes. Stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan and keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t bubble over. Reduce until mixture is thick and bubbles start to slow.
- Fold pears back into the caramel sauce, and set aside to cool slightly. When caramel and pears and are warm but not too hot, layer in a small cup with crumbled simple mills cookies and your favorite dairy free vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe is for 4 servings but you may have a little extra caramel sauce leftover. I’m sure no one will complain 🙂