ohhh the ranch dressing love affair. I always kind of thought I would grow out of wanting to put this stuff on everything, but… it hasn’t happened yet, and I can’t say that I see that possibility in my future. so of course it only makes sense to at least learn how to make a version that’s not full of a million ingredients that you can’t even pronounce, but tastes just as good (seriously!)
I found this recipe over at huffington post. I have to say their recipe collection is totally worth browsing! I haven’t been disappointed yet. and when you come across a recipe titled the only ranch dressing recipe you will ever need, well, you kind of gotta try it.
I am not going to lie and tell you that I made this for a salad. I totally made it for our home made pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeño pizza, and it was delicious. eventually I dressed a lovely salad of spring greens with it, which was also perfection, but pizza test first, salad test second. makes sense, right?
my recipe is almost the same as the one in the link above, with a few small additions and a couple of optional substitutions.
ranch dressing life! can you dip it?Print
delightfully tangy, creamy and herby – this dressing will live up to all of your ranch loving dreams!
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup well shaken buttermilk
- 2–3 tbs sour cream (I have also used whole milk greek yogurt and it was a fine substitute)
- 1–2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh herbs (chives, parsley, dill, tarragon)
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey or sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- put all the ingredients into a jar (at least 12 oz) except salt and pepper. cover. shake it vigorously until everything is well combined. best way ever to mix salad dressing!
- add black pepper and salt to taste. adjust other ingredients if necessary (sour cream, mayo, mustard, vinegar) shake again and do a happy dance because it’s ready to pour over evvvverythinng!! ranch dressing life = yum life.
original recipe can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html
- Category: dressing
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out! you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xo