This paleo salted pumpkin caramel sauce is made with a few clean and simple ingredients like coconut milk, coconut sugar, real pumpkin, pumpkin spice, sea salt and vanilla extract. Easy to make and a healthy seasonal treat that you are going to LOVE dipping your spoon into!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can substitute with cinnamon or a blend of your favorite seasonal spices!)
- Add all ingredients to a 3 quart sauce pan and whisk to combine.
- Slowly bring to almost a boil (be very attentive – as the caramel nears a boil it will expand rapidly and can boil over) Lower heat to a simmer and set a timer for 25 minutes.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, whisking every several minutes to keep a film from forming on the top of the caramel, and to keep it from sticking to the bottom and sides of the pan. If you’re using a smaller pan than a 3 qt, you may need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
- When the caramel is ready the bubbles will have slowed considerably, it will be reduced by about half, and will have darkened in color.
- Set it aside to cool to slightly before serving or storing in the refrigerator to use at a later time. It will thicken as it cools and will get especially thick in the refrigerator. It can easily be warmed to a drizzle-able consistency either in the microwave or on the stove top when you’re ready to serve!
- Will keep in the refrigerator for at least a week, maybe longer!