Once again, we’ve made it through another week! And I’m here with some mega tasty brunch vibes to kick off your weekend right. I’ve been working on this one for a while, and I’m SO excited to present to you: paleo mediterranean eggs benedict! Also known as the queen of paleo benedicts.
It’s getting closer to spring by the minute (!!!) – can you feel it?!
As it does we’re lightening up our daily meals a little bit here and there to get into the nice-weather-mode.
More fresh veggies and bright flavors, please! It’s always amazing + beautiful to me how much our food mirrors the season changes.
Food = sustenance for the body and SOUL.
The base of this benedict is FULL of a giant rainbow of body + soul nourishing vegetables. It starts with roasted spiced sweet potato planks on the bottom, which are piled high with a tangled + bright lemony salad of arugula, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion – it’s brightness contrasting perfectly against the decadence of the poached eggs and paprika spiked tahini hollandaise sauce.
And the hollandaise sauce!! Ohh it’s so good. Lemony. Rich. Silky. Spiked with paprika + garlic.
Some other awesome things about this hollandaise sauce:
- Is made in a blender – also known as crazy easy to make (yesss – I’m team blend everything over here! 🙋🏻)
- Can be made with ghee, OR made dairy free by using THIS recipe.
- Tastes amazing thanks to the mediterranean inspired addition of tahini!! 😛
While the sweet potatoes are roasting you will have enough time to prep all the fresh goodies for your salad, and get everything ready to make the hollandaise and poach your eggs. You’ll save dressing the salad and the poaching + blending for the last minute, so that everything comes together with just the right timing in perfect paleo mediterranean benedict harmony.
Benedict harmony = everything that your weekend deserves ✌🏼
Did you make this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out for you! when you rate my recipes and leave feedback it helps me continue to improve. you can leave me a comment below, or snap a picture and post it to instagram with the tag @nyssaskitchen or hashtag #nyssaskitchen! xoPrint
Paleo mediterranean eggs benedict made with layers of spiced sweet potato planks, a bright + tangled lemony salad of arugula, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion, perfectly poached eggs and a paprika spiked tahini hollandaise sauce.
For Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes
- Avocado oil, melted ghee, or melted coconut oil
- 2 cups mixed tender greens, arugula, and fresh herbs (I used dill and cilantro)
- 1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- black sesame seeds for garnish
For Poached Eggs:
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Alternatively, you can make THIS tahini hollandaise for a dairy free version!
- 2 large or 3 small egg yolks
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of garlic powder
For Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick planks. You should have enough for this recipe and some leftovers.
- Drizzle with avocado oil, or melted ghee // coconut oil and season with salt, pepper and a little bit of paprika. Toss to coat.
- Cook for 14 minutes, remove from oven, flip, and cook another 5 minutes. If you want them crispier, broil on high for 2 minutes, watching closely so they don’t burn.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking prepare the salad.
- Toss lettuce, onions, cucumber and tomatoes and set aside.
- After salad is ready, prepare to make the hollandaise and eggs.
For Hollandaise + Eggs:
- Pour several cups of boiling water into a blender and let sit while you poach eggs.
- Bring a deep skillet of water to a boil.
- Break each egg into a small bowl.
- Lower water to a bare simmer and stir in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Have a plate lined with a paper towel ready next to the stove.
- Carefully slide each egg into the barely simmering water and set a timer for 4 minutes for a soft poached egg.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towel lined plate.
- Pour boiling water out of blender and dry. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, tahini, salt and paprika, and blend.
- With the motor running slowly add melted ghee, blending until sauce starts to thicken and is well combined. It will get thicker as it cools, but if it’s too thick from the very beginning you can thin it out with a little bit of hot water. Start with 1/2 a teaspoon and add more in tiny increments until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt if necessary.
Final Assembly of Benedict:
- Drizzle salad with a little olive oil, a big squeeze of lemon and a big pinch of sea salt and toss.
- Plate several sweet potato planks, top with salad, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce.
- Garnish with a little paprika, sesame seeds, and flaky sea salt and serve!